Super-Size My Kindle
Amazon announced today the new, large-screen Kindle DX. It will be released this summer, and will cost $489 (vs. the $359 6-inch 2.0). As you can see below, it boasts a larger body and a 9.7 inch diagonal screen.

This is a perfect example of Amazon giving me what I asked for, in a way that I dislike. I've always maintained that the one thing I would change about my Kindle (I have verson 1.0) is the screen size. It's smaller than ideal, and this is something that was not changed in version 2.0.
However - I would not purchase the DX because, to me, the larger screen size is not enough of a positive to outweigh the major negative of a larger device. The other new features - native PDF and a rotating screen - are nice, but again, not significant enough to outweigh the disadvantages of the larger size. I'd prefer to keep my lightweight laptop for dealing with full-page display documents. And the final promotional feature, of larger memory, is a non-issue for 1st generation Kindlers like me, because ours support a removable memory card (v. 2.0 does not).
Of the things I like about my Kindle, the size and portability is probably either #1 or #2 on the list. With its current shape and size, I can slip my Kindle into a small bag or even the (large) pocket of a jacket.
If Amazon would create a v. 3.0 6 inch Kindle with a larger vertical screen (likely compensated by a smaller or digital keyboard), I would be all for it. This attempt, though, is not for me.



Post a Comment