Get Your Cheaper Kindle Here
For the first time, Amazon has reduced the price on it's Kindle (the classic size, not the DX) to $299.00. You can buy it here.
Uncertain about the Kindle? Read my thoughts about the device, both before and after purchasing.
Unfortunately, I've also heard buzzing that Amazon is pursuing patents that will allow them to insert ads into ebooks. Slashdot has some commentary, as does Fast Company.
Personally, this could be a deal breaker for me. It's certainly possible that I could learn to ignore embedded ads, but with the smaller-than-ideal screen size to begin with on the Kindle, I imagine that embedded ads would be distracting to the point of unreadability. I read books to immerse myself in the adventure, the journey, the lesson; not to be abruptly reminded that there's a special promotion at Red Lobster.
The Fast Company article articulates a few instances where this could be a good thing - lower-cost books for people who choose to tolerate the ads, or the ability to risk more publication of new writers with the helpful boost of advertising revenue. I understand both of these perspectives, but like FC, fear the blowback of higher prices or standardization and unavoidable advertisements.
I'll certainly stay tuned to this topic and hope that Amazon finds a way to utilize the patents that is not disruptive of the reading experience.
What about you? Would you read ebooks with embedded, contextual advertisements?



hiya! This cracked me up even on a reread: "I read books to immerse myself in the adventure, the journey, the lesson; not to be abruptly reminded that there's a special promotion at Red Lobster." heh.
Considering that I find it embarrassingly difficult to actually focus on a book at ALL (thanks, internet, for reducing my attention span), I'm going to go with the no ads option. There's already plenty of things to taunt and distract me away from reading already, I'll find my Red Lobster coupons on the net. And when I do...it'll be by choice since I've downloaded various ad blockers on my computer :)
Post a Comment